Friday, May 25, 2012

Memorial Services

Memorial Day is coming in the US and in Belgium, they get a jump start on it. Services started today and will run through Monday. There are 20 American cemeteries in Europe from the wars, and 3 are in Belgium, including Flanders Field.
Belgium does a lot to remember the servicemen that died here in WWI and WWII. I'm very excited to see the service tomorrow at Ardennes, but I know it will be emotional. I've lived around military bases in America for the past 7 years and they do have special Memorial services, but I have a feeling that this is on another level. The war was right here at their doorsteps. Just 2 miles from our house, there's a crash site memorial from WWII, it's not big, just a little plaque, but there are flowers and flags on it.
As a military spouse, it warms me to see how that the men that fought and died here are remembered and honored so well. You can't help but think that many of the young spouses and parents of the servicemen never had an opportunity to see their headstone. Getting to Europe at that time was only for the rich, they never could have afforded it.
We are very lucky that we will be able to go and attend a Memorial service for them. It's what I would hope someone would have done for my hero if we were in that era.
Ardennes American Cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment