Tuesday, December 6, 2011

St. Nicholas

St. Nicholas came to my son's school today and left little presents. I don't know if he came on a donkey and had his friend, Black Pete with him or not.
Yep, all the pictures here of St. Nicholas feature his donkey and a young black boy named, Black Pete. The depictions of Pete are something that the people in the US would have a fit over. Actually, it bothers me, but pictures are everywhere of him, and my son knows who he is. I've heard that he is suppose to be a Moor from the Crusades, but I haven't found that information. It might be because it's to cover up the fact that he was a slave. I don't know.

Zwarte Piet (Black Pete)


In Belgium and the Netherlands, children are told that Zwarte Piet leaves gifts in the children’s shoes. Presents are said to be distributed by Saint Nicholas' aide Zwarte Piet; who enters the house through the chimney, which also explains his black face and hands, but not his colorful attire. Blackfaced, red-lipped Zwarte Piet dolls are displayed in store windows alongside with brightly packaged holiday merchandise. (wikipedia.org)

The other thing I find fascinating about St. Nicholas is that he is the patron saint of "sailors, merchants, archers, thieves, children, and students in various countries in the Balkans and Eastern Europe." (wikipedia) Since I'm not catholic, I have no idea if all saints have such random duties, but thieves to students is a big range.
Tonight, we'll be setting out carrots for donkey and fruit snacks for St. Nicholas and Pete. I asked my son's teacher about leaving a treat for Pete and she responded, "No, why?" Translation or tradition, I don't know, but he's getting a treat from us.




No comments:

Post a Comment