Monday, February 6, 2012

Artisan Day

Yesterday was Artisan Day in Wallonia, I'm not sure about the rest of the country. It was a day for artisans to open up their shops for people to come and see what the do and how they do it. There are so many talented artists in the area, and it was a big hit among Belgians and Shapians alike.
My family is lucky enough to be just about 2 miles away from one artisan that we've been meaning to meet since July! The Cheese Lady, Thea Oostendorp, has her farm and shop in the town behind our woods. She and her husband opened up their dairy farm and cheese shop for all to come and see how her wonderful cheeses are made. fromagesdethoricourt.be/
The family is originally from Holland, then moved to Wales and has settled on this beautiful dairy farm in Thoricourt. Many Dutch people speak Dutch, French, German and English, (amazing). This was a great talent with the huge number of Shapians coming to visit.
A friend of mine was with my son and me and was able to help explain the whole process to my toddler, time and time again, because her grandparents had a dairy that used very similar equipment. We were able to see all the cows eating before they came in to get milked. We got to see six cows at a time getting milked, I think my son and friend watched the milking of 3 different groups of cows. We watched as the milk was pumped into a cooler and then into to the huge vat where is begins it's life at cheese. Mr. Oostendorp answered many of his questions as well.
My son was so excited to see the milk come pouring out of the hose into that hot tub sized vat. He waited quite awhile to see the mixers move the milk around, but never got to see that. The vat wasn't full enough yet. He was so enthralled, that he never once complained about the noise of the milking equipment. That's saying something for him. Unless it's his own yelling or listening to his favorite songs, he does not like noise and it was quite noisy.
While I was waiting in the long, jumbled mass to taste some cheese to purchase, my son and friend took another tour through the cow barn. We came home with 3 local beers and 2 good sized wedges of cheese. One was beer cheese, delightful and the other I bought because I was completely intrigued. Nettle cheese, made with the same stinging nettles that we have in Nebraska. I asked about using the nettles, and was told that you get them when they're young in the spring and then dry them. Nettles are used in soups, cheeses and whatever you'd like. They are good for your health, particularly arthritis. I've heard of people eating dandelions, but never nettles. Hmm, you learn something new every day. http://www.naturalhomeandgarden.com/natural-health/edible-weeds-101-health-benefits-of-stinging-nettles.aspx
My family will gladly give this wonderful farm more business in the next few years as we continue to live and learn in Belgium.

No comments:

Post a Comment