Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pre-Lenten Recess

My son is home for a week from school for Pre-Lenten Recess, or as the Americans call it, Ski Week. We were told in our Headstart French class, taught by a Belgian, that most Belgians identify themselves as Catholics. They identify themselves as Catholics, but they don't go to church. They don't go to church, but almost all their government holidays are religiously based.
That being said, this week, the whole of Belgium's schools are out for Pre-Lenten Recess. This would be the same as all of Louisiana getting off for Mardi Gras week, because Mardi Gras is the kick off of Lent. Now, maybe they do and call it spring break, I don't know. My son's school had a big party last Friday for the kick-off of recess. They were allowed to wear "fancy dress" (costumes) and bring treats to share and they made masks and something my son calls a "marcher." It was a big deal for all the kids and my son had a great time. The only disappointment for him is that he was pretty sure his teacher would dress up as Batgirl and she didn't.
There are many things going on this week such as parades for families and parades not for families, volksmarches, bike races and community celebrations. We missed the biggest one this past weekend in Binche, but have heard it is worth going to next year. (if we don't have wrestling championships the same weekend) My husband and I will be participating in one of the events that goes on this week, crossage. I'll blog about that next, it happens on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment