Thursday, November 3, 2011

British Fireworks??

The British Element here at SHAPE provided a HUGE bonfire and fireworks last night. The advertisement in the community magazine didn't express why, but since this is All Saint's Recess at the schools, I was surprised.
I went by myself because the little boy had a particularly challenging evening and my husband didn't think exposing the public to him was a good idea. I left right away, because I knew the Brits would have beer. Wednesdays are choir for me, but this was earlier, so I could do both.
The Brits did have beer and easily the biggest bonfire that I've ever seen in real life. The pile of whatever it was had to have been at least 30 feet tall. The fire department likes to spice up the lighting of these bonfires, I hear, so this had about a 20 foot racetrack that they lit to start the fire. I was able to meet up with some of my fellow choir members, so we chatted up until the time we needed to leave.
We were able to hear the fireworks from practice, but didn't stop to watch them.  (I was slightly bummed) Finally, during a break, I asked the RAF Air Commodore what the evening's festivities were for. It was for the remembrance of Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot being foiled. The British have celebrated this for over 400 years now. Gotta love 'em.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes

No comments:

Post a Comment