Sunday, November 20, 2011

I miss movies

There are tons of new movies coming out that I'd really like to see. I'd really like to see them in English. Belgium, being a French and Dutch speaking country does have a few theaters that will play movies in their original version (OV) and then use subtitles. My husband and I went to go see the last Harry Potter movie, about a month after it came out, during the only showing of the week that it was being shown in it's OV, English. It was great to go to the theater, which was clean and reasonably priced, but concentrating on the movie was difficult. The actors might be speaking in English, but there are French and Dutch subtitles running across the bottom. For some reason both of us lost some scenes in the movie because we'd see a word that looked familiar in French. Or we'd hear a word on the screen and look to see how it was translated into French.
Sometimes, the movies are dubbed in another language, I can only imagine how distracting that would be! It makes me think of the martial arts movies when the actors look so funny speaking one way but saying something else.
OK, so say I get over the subtitles running across the bottom, I still have to find the time to see it AND drive at least an hour to do so. ugh. The theater closest to us is very nice. They have a full sit-down cafe and the snack bar. Popcorn can be bought with salt or sugar on it and the Belgian M&Ms are terrific. 2,50 EU will get you a large tub of popcorn, quite a deal compared to home. However, it's an hour to the theater. Even when I lived in Neligh, NE, I was closer to a theater than that.
We have an English speaking theater on post that AAFES or someone runs, but I've been told (I know, opinions...everybody's got one) that the theater is nasty and isn't well taken care of. The concessions are still expensive and aren't worth buying.
Here's the other issue, babysitters. Where are they? We live 9 miles from SHAPE, not the other side of the world, but we can't seem to find a babysitter. Has my son's reputation proceeded him already?? Has someone seen us at the park or the PX and said, "Nope, never babysitting that kid." Yes, kids are busy, so I was I in high school, but I still found time to babysit. That, and I wanted the money. All these top-heavy military families around here.....
I just want to go to the theater, watch a nice movie, Kermit the Frog or Jacob the Wolf, it doesn't really matter. It shouldn't be difficult. And when there is actually a Parent's Night Out in a few weeks, my husband is going to be gone on a wrestling trip. The little boy's going anyway and I just might go catch a movie by myself. (Then it's going to be Jacob the Wolf)

No comments:

Post a Comment