Friday, November 18, 2011

Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany

I might have found a new favorite place, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. My son and I spent last weekend there with some friends at the military lodging resort, Edelweiss. The town and it's surroundings are absolutely gorgeous. I wish I had pictures to share, but my husband had the camera on his trip.
The homes and stores are just like something from a postcard. It fit right into my vision of the Bavarian region. The town is settled into the valley beside picturesque mountains and was beautiful in the fog and the sun. We were able to have two days of each.
We got there on a Thursday evening, after some crazy train issues. Friday, my friend and I spent an almost ideal day. After our children (her youngest, and mine) got us up before dawn, we left them with her husband and took off for an invigorating walk. After an hour of her running me ragged, we came back, showered and enjoyed a great breakfast buffet at Edelweiss Lodge. Then, it was time for us to take off again.
Her husband had volunteered to take the kids for the day so we could get some shopping done. We tried hard not to run that very instant. Loren and I strolled (as much as anyone can stroll with Loren) down to the center of town to browse what the Garmisch side had to offer. One thing on my list was spices to make gluhwein, German spiced our mulled wine. We found it and bought several packages just in case it turns out to be really, really good. We were also very successful in finding chocolate and a few little items for the kids. Ohhh, and we had the tastiest lunch, the best tomato soup I've ever had and a wonderful German beer. All enjoyed outside with the warmth of blankets provided by the cafe. Splendid.
One of the things that I liked about the area, was that most of the shops were locally owned, very few chain stores. There was an H&M and a Jack Wolfskin, but other than that, I wasn't familiar with the stores.
It is definitely a ski town, so there were many stores ready for the winter snow. So many high end ski stores, I'm almost glad my husband couldn't come. I can only imagine what we would have dragged back home. The way it was, we came home with a much heavier suitcase and an extra bag.
Every day I was there I got to see something different, and we didn't even have a car to drive to neighboring towns. We also didn't take the train up to the Zugspitze, the highest point in Germany. They had been there before and I didn't want to go without my husband.
We were able to enjoy the hot tub during adult's only time since we had a built-in babysitter with Loren's oldest. Loren bought me a fabulous foot massage for my birthday, the spa services are numerous and reasonable. This was their last weekend in Germany and in Europe, so we were ready to make the most of it!
There is a NATO training base located very close to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and I'm already hounding my husband to see when the next applicable training is available so we can get back. Any time, I'm there. I'd even ski.....if there is alcoholic hot chocolate waiting for me at the end. Oh, and did I mention that military child/youth services will care for your child during the day or the evening?!? And Edelweiss has a list of over 20 certified babysitters willing to come to the lodge and watch kids. It just might be a piece of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment