Saturday, September 10, 2011

SHAPEfest.....food heaven

Today was SHAPEfest here at NATO headquarters and I fell in love. Each of the 28 countries in NATO had their own tent or two or four, to represent their country to the rest of us. There were things that I didn't knew existed and am so happy to now know.
One of the things that was talked about in the community magazine was the Danish hot dogs. Ordinarily, not something I'd head towards, but I had to try it. Why are these hot dogs so good they get a specific plug for them? Because they're heavenly, that's why. I've had hot dogs from a street vendor in Chicago, they were good, these Danish ones were better. The dog was fabulous, though I don't know what it was made of. The bun was excellent and whatever their sauce was....ahhh.
We also had sangria from Spain, beer and sausage from Slovenia, cheese from Lithuania and The Netherlands, tiny little pancakes from the Netherlands, beer and a waffle from Belgium and Baklava from Turkey or Slovakia, I'm not sure which. I know we ate something from some other tents also, but I can't remember which now.
My son came home with a flag from Estonia. Really, Estonia. I knew it was a country from watching Encino Man, but I didn't know they were a NATO country.
They had carnival rides, vendor booths and tents set up for all the organizations on SHAPE. So we got to see the Trips and Tours women, the librarians, the different churches, people from Arts and Crafts, so on and so forth. It was a wonderfully put together event.
It was so wonderful, that I invite all my family and friends to come and stay this time next year, or the following year. Heck, come both years. It's worth it. I'm debating on if I can stay away tomorrow, or if I need to go back. That Greek tent was calling my name.....

No comments:

Post a Comment