Thursday, September 1, 2011

Wildlife

Coming home the other night, I saw something that I hadn't seen in a long time, since I was a little kid going to my cousins ranch in Atkinson. Jackrabbits, or as they call them here, hares. It was after 9pm, and my light was almost gone, twilight. The drive home is almost all country roads and there is almost always pheasants to see, but this movement was different. I actually stopped to watch them hopping around in a recently plowed field. There were tons of them out there, at least 15 that I could see. My mom has bunnies at her house, so those are no big deal. These hares were huge, at least 18 inches tall from what I could tell, but none of them were standing up on their hind feet for long. I sat and watched them for a few minutes hopping around, looking for tasty bits that the plow overturned. While my drive to and from the post is a long one sometimes, I love seeing all the country things that I have missed since moving from Nebraska.

No comments:

Post a Comment