Thursday, January 5, 2012

Another Blustery Day

What a terribly, blustery day in Belgium! I knew it was suppose to rain today, but I didn't know it was going to be another day that bends over the chateau trees making me worry about my roof and car.
The winds started last night and put down some significant rain and it was grey again this morning. After another heavy morning storm, my son and I took off for a quick trip to the Exchange to get a new play-doh toy and some water. (the water here is filled with nitrates and I'm assuming cow....runoff, so we drink bottled. I know, snootchy)
As the sun came out, we took off and got out in the open away from out part of the 100 acre wood, of which our house sits in the clearing, my son told me to look out for rainstorms. He was right. All around our area were big, gray storm clouds. We were able to keep Wanda Wagon on the road with the winds blowing us around and get to the Exchange without getting poured on. We spotted 2 different rainbows, that was the highlight of the weather. We zipped in and out of the Exchange quickly to be greeted by a huge crack of lightning and thunder. Both of which are pretty rare around here. It rained and poured on us the whole way home. (only 5 miles or so) Wanda was not as easy to keep on the road this time, and we had a bit of mud time, which is easy to do with these narrow roads on a good day. With listening to my son worry about the storms, something he definitely gets from me, we pulled into our woods. The rain started lessening a bit, when we turned down our road, it was down to sprinkles. We could see the clouds moving in, so we made a dash for the house, bringing only the new toy. It was too windy to bring in the water bottles and the wind was picking up again.
No sooner did we get shoes and coats off, down came the rain. It rained so hard the worms sought refuge in the house. (the house is old and crooked, they come in through the gap in the back door. super for heating purposes) Shortly after we cracked open the new play-doh, the electricity went out for a bit. Then I discovered that the lightening tripped a breaker. Another odd thing about Belgium, we've had more tripped breakers here than in all the other places we've lived, combined. Why is that, do you suppose?
We've had brief respites throughout the day without rain and wind, but it's picking up again. I love it here, but the daily vitamin D is a necessity.

No comments:

Post a Comment