Sunday, January 29, 2012

Strike!

We've been here for seven months now and are getting ready to have our fourth strike in the country of Belgium. This one will be a doozy and I'm very thankful, for once, that we aren't in Brussels. I think as a bit of a background, you need to know that Belgium has only recently gotten back their federal government. They were without one for a little over a year. The French and Flemish regions don't really mesh well.
That being said, the country has done...ok....without it. In response to the new government and the poor economical climate, the public workers strike to have their voice heard. The strikes usually involve the transportation workers, they seem to be the lead on these things. In December, the teachers were included. This one that begins at 2200 Sunday the 29th to 2200 Monday the 30th will involve transportation, sanitation, teachers, road crews, and any public employee that you can think of. Many businesses will be closed because their employees can't make it to work because of transportation. Other businesses are closed in support of the strike.
From what we've heard, roads can be all together blocked, but they can hinder your path. Major intersections to the motorways will be picketed, intersections in cities will be picketed, the airports will be involved, it's just going to be a mess.
Because the schools can't be allowed to close entirely, they will be run as daycares on Monday. From what I understand, it's almost at minimum manning. Some will be out picketing, some stay home because of transportation and some come in. I don't know what the calling tree looks like for that situation, but as with all good schools, I'm sure there is one in place.
My son goes to a Belgian school and when I picked him up on Friday, I asked about how the strike would affect his school. I was told that they don't strike, it will be a school day as usual. All teachers and staff will be there. When I asked why that was, I was told it's because their principal doesn't allow them to strike. That was very interesting to me, but with our limited skills for each other's language, I was happy to get that much.
My main question is this: does this involve the police and other emergency services? No one has been able to find a good answer. Are they on minimum manning? They're a public service, they have as much right to strike as the rest of the public employees.
It's all very different to understand. What I do know is that all the strikes have happened on Mondays, Fridays or the day before a major holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment