Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bonne Annee'

A few weeks ago I blogged about my family making Christmas goodies for our neighbors and how we thought it was a good idea to reach out to the few people who do live "close" to us. We had gotten one container of Belgian snacks back in return.
Since those blogs, we've gotten another container of cookies that my husband loved with his morning coffee, several cards with the one word I do understand, "merci" and an absolutely scrumptious Bonne Annee' cake.
Bonne Annee' is how to say Happy New Year in French, and let me tell you, this cake made us very happy. Very, very, happy. It had a crunchy crust, almost like a graham cracker on the bottom, then it had a thin layer of chocolate cake. Belgian chocolate cake, there's more cocoa involved in Belgian chocolate and it is wonderful. Then there were two different jams in the middle, surrounded by chocolate mousse. And if that wasn't enough, it had a sweet, red frosting, almost like ganache covering it. Oh, and some decorative chocolates on top, because you need decorative chocolates after eating the rest of this heavenly concoction. The whole thing is compacted into an 8 inch log-shaped cake of pure sinfulness.
I ate one slice of it and almost immediately went into a sugar rush, I was like Hammy from Over the Hedge. (kid's movie that we've watched 50 times) I could feel my blood rush with sweet, sweet sugar. My son loved it, his sweet tooth is bigger than mine and kept wanting more of the jam in the middle. Then my husband came home and tucked into it. He wondered why he couldn't fall asleep last night, I've got a good idea why.
The delectable little treat is now sitting wrapped up in the fridge calling my name in French. It is suppose to be in my husband's lunch box and not in the fridge tempting me. I must be strong, I have "RĂ©solutions du Nouvel An" to keep and they don't call for more than one helping of that sinful Bonne Annee' cake. But it might appear in my dreams.....

1 comment:

  1. Too bad it wouldn't last if you shipped it....I'd be willing to take it off your hands!! My mouth is watering, just reading your description of it!

    ReplyDelete