Thursday, October 6, 2011

Finally!

I don't know what happened, but I finally got an email from the HR department saying that I had paperwork to do if I wanted to substitute teach. Now, I've tried subbing before and it wasn't my cup of tea, but....it pays well and I can decide my days of work.
Substitute teaching here is a Department of Defense job, so I have a poop ton of paperwork to do. However, it is also considered a Spouse Preference position. Since I am an active duty spouse, I should have preference. Since I have a current teaching certificate, I should have more opportunities to be called over people with degrees in another field. Those two things have not been happening at our current post, until now, I guess.
When I took my paperwork in, then did it again online in August, I was told that they too many substitute teachers and I'd have to wait until most of the 23 subs stopped coming in or didn't want to sub anymore. After talking with a few of the people here, many of the subs were contractors wives who had been here for a long time. They didn't have military spouse preference, but they had friends in the right places and I didn't.
I'm not sure what happened in a month, but I'm very happy that it did. Somehow I doubt that many of the 23 current subs left, but if they did, Good Luck in your new duty station. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do something more constructive with my time than washing windows and doing laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment