Sunday, August 21, 2011

Electric Poop

We've smelled some horrible, strong smells since here in Belgium. The landscape is very similar to Nebraska/Iowa, so we knew the smell, at first. It was farm smells, manure to be exact.  And my son was more than quick to point it out at every chance he got. "I mell tumting. I mell cow poop." It was funny at first, then got to be old, the 100th time we left the confines of the lodge or our house.
Since we've moved to our house and are surrounded by fields of potatoes and sugar beets, we've noticed that every once in awhile, the smell is VERY strong and VERY close. Then we hear the tractor, or tune in to the tractor sounds behind the house instead of rumbling down our poorly paved country road in front of the house. Those tractors are often spraying the fields with what we've come to call "electric poop." I don't know if they mix it with something before hand, let it ferment in a dung heap until it liquefies, or what the process is, but the result is the most noisome stench that I've encountered since the hog confinements in Atkinson, NE. Awful. Eye-watering. Really, really bad "mell." 
The good thing about this is, that as soon as the farmer is done watering his fields with the liquid poo, the smell dissipates. Thank God! We've been lucky too, that most of the time the wind is in our favor. I can't imagine the little particles of encapsulated stink blowing into my unscreened windows. I pray it never happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment