Tuesday, August 9, 2011

One great house feature

One of the great features that my house has is a rainwater system. Since it rains here about 220 days/year (I think they're underestimating this average, just sayin') they have plenty of rainwater to use. Our water is collected in a storage barrel under the house somewhere and is used to flush the toilets, the washing machine and the outside faucet. It saves on alot of city water, which is very expensive, and uses what we already have readily available. 
The only downside that I see with this system is that my white clothes don't look as white and they DON'T use bleach here. There isn't even a place to put bleach in my washing machine. When I asked the house inspector about bleach, he was almost appalled that I asked. Oh, and the water in the toilets always looks dirty, but with a 3 year old, it might be, it's a gamble.
The rainwater system is a great way to use what it so plentiful and renewable in Belgium. Now, if only they'd install a wind generator in my backyard, we'd be set!

No comments:

Post a Comment