Monday, August 22, 2011

WHOA! Now, that's a storm!

While it is rare to have a thunderstorm in Belgium, we had one last night. It made the little cloud burst last week look like a sprinkle.
It rained almost all day yesterday, which, sadly, isn't rare. It cleared off pretty well for my son and I to take a stroller jog up to the closest park. We both needed outside and I needed the exercise. We get all the way to the park, a little over a mile, and turned the stroller around to get in the entrance. I don't know how I didn't notice the darkness when we left the house, but I did. Even my son noticed how dark is was and told me it was going to rain. His stroller has a rain guard on it, so he was going to be fine, I'd be the one getting drenched. I told him that we'd play for a little bit, then we'd have to go. HE cut the playtime short, getting back into his stroller and told me it was time to get going home. We got home just in time for it to start dumping rain. But we were home and it was only rain, no thunder, no wind.
It continued to rain into the night and even started to thunder and lightning a bit around 2300. Just a little thunder shower. THEN, at about 0300 the storm blew in. We both woke up hearing the wind pick up and the rain start blasting our huge windows. There was a strike of lightning that was so close, I was afraid it hit my beloved neighbor cow, Marie, or one of our trees. It was that close. YIKES! Woke my son up, which is saying something. Then the rain came harder, it sounded like hail on our ceiling window. It let up after an hour or so, but it was strong! I was able to transplant our son back into his bed after that hour and he slept for a short time longer.
The rain and thunder continue this morning, though it looks like it is going to break up for awhile. We have play plans at the indoor playground at the zoo, so we won't be stuck inside today. The rain has left me with greener, longer grass and a bunch of sticks to pick up of the cursed pear tree. But, since those storms are so rare, we might not see another boomer like that for awhile. (which is good, because I hate my sleep being interrupted for any reason)

No comments:

Post a Comment