Friday, August 5, 2011

Working the system

We have a cute old house that has recently be remodeled. The landlord said it was 200,000 Euro, but we think that might be over estimating it by about....well who knows. I can't imagine the house being that much, but I don't know the prices over here.
Anyway, remodeled yes, to typical American standards, no. I have a galley kitchen just the same size that my husband and I had when we were first married living in Iowa. However, I had twice the cabinet space then as I do now. We have exactly 1 cabinet (double door), 3 large drawers and 2 silverware drawers to store food, dishes, storage containers, spices, etc. That's it. That fact wasn't overlooked by me, but that's another story.
So, when we contacted the military furniture place that supplies us with washer/dryer/fridge/etc, I was looking on the list for cabinets. We had someone tell us that they offered them, and just to take them, there's no storage here. The cabinets weren't on the list, so I figured that I couldn't ask for them.
Then I asked someone about them again, and she said that they have them, just ask. So I went out there and asked in person. I wanted to get my sob story face ready if needed. The kind people told me in their best English (thank goodness they have English) that they have them, but they would have to come out and look at the kitchen and verify that I have no cabinets or storage space available.
After 3 weeks, they finally showed up today and the little gentleman stated, as he got out of the van, "I can tell from your road that you don't have any kitchen storage." Referencing that we live in the sticks and our nearest neighbor is probably a quarter mile away. He asked me what I would like for cabinets, which are more like tall pantries, and told me I was allowed to have 3 of them. "Then 3 is what I want," I told him. So, after all this time and waiting for them to show up, he was here about 5 minutes total and will be submitting his report to the manager on Monday and they will call me next week to set up a delivery time for the cabinets. With any luck, in 3 more weeks, I'll have some cabinet space and I can get rid of the boxes on the main floor. Who knows when we'll have a bedroom set so I can get rid of the boxes in there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh crum... I'd be in big trouble without my cabinets.. I know I'm very spoiled and don't keep them in spotless condition and well organized..

    ReplyDelete